Where is God?

Monday, September 11, 2006

Is an imperfect God good?

Hello all!

I'm sorry for the lack of updates. As you may have seen from my other blog (Cuppa Tea), I was away for a weeks holiday in Amsterdam, and internet was a little hard to come by. :-). My apologies.

Naturally I have been thinking about this blog, religion and Christianity a lot. I started asking myself why I wanted to ask these questions, why it interests me so much (following on from my post yesterday). I think that this comment from 'Mattie' sums it up:

"This has little to do with faith, and much more to do with psychology. Maybe you should do your exploring there."

Whilst this is not the most interesting comment I have received, it is the only one that gave me a flash of realisation. I am exploring human psychology. What interests me is not so much religion and Christianity, but where they come from, their reasons for existing, and how they impact on individual human lives and humanity. Hence 'to find out WHY people believe'. So this is my first question for today. Why do you believe in God? And following that, why do you follow religion doctrines? Let me analyse these for a second.

The most logical answer to the first question (and the one I expect to come up the most) is "because, having analysed the evidence and read the bible, I have concluded that there is enough evidence to convince me that God exists in the form that Christianity describes". It is the second question that is a little bit difficult. Some answers I can think of (and indeed have received before):
  1. Because I want to go to heaven
  2. Because God defines what is good, and I want to be a good person
  3. To bring glory to God, regardless of the consequences
  4. Because they have a beneficial impact on my everyday life
Let me be clear - if there is a heaven, I want to go to it. All rational humans would. However, this is not a reason for believing in God or being religious (see question 2 of my first post Where is God?). I also have trouble with reason 2. I do not like the idea that God 'defines what is good'. I understand that, by definition, He is perfect, and therefore can do no wrong, and therefore defines good. However, I am very willing to accept that God has flaws (question 3 - does He?). The Greeks thought they did, so the idea is not so far fetched. Look around. If God was perfect, and He loved all humans, why did he create cancer and AIDS? Why does he give the already starving Africans drought and locusts? Why do natural disasters kill so many innocent humans? Indeed, if He loves humans, why is he letting us self destruct? Are we an experiment gone wrong to Him? Or are we His sons and daughters? If it is the latter, when will He make the world a better place?

The second part of reason 2 does not work for everyone as well. As I asked in this post, would you still be 'good' if doing so sent you to hell? Some said 'yes'. I predict that on a global scale, you are very much in the minority.

The 3rd reason seems silly to me. It portrays humans as God's slaves. You might say to me that God created me, and that I owe Him everything. I could say the same as my parents. However, I question their orders and morals. Terrible things have happened in this world because people try to 'bring glory to God', believing blindly that they are serving their Lord. Questioning orders, laws, rules, beliefs and morals is what makes us human.

I have absolutely nothing to say against reason 4, except to throw it right back at you. I do not always live my life according to strict Christian values, because they do not have a beneficial impact on my everyday life. In fact, I think that there might be people out there who live a Christian life without being as certain of God's existence as most of you seem to be. Their attitude: 'it brings something extra to my life, and if it's true, that's a bonus'. Are they going to hell? (That was question 4.)

We are back to my original belief when I started this blog. I think that as long as you lead a good life, try to be a good, virtuous person, and regret your mistakes, you can look forward to heaven, in whatever form it is, and God's love, in whatever form He is. Praying is not necessary, church is not necessary, and perhaps belief is not necessary. Tell me why I am wrong without quoting from the bible, as I have decided that, for me, it is not a source reliable enough for me to base my life on.

Quick response to one of Amanda's comments. It is perfectly possible that some of the bible can be right, and some wrong. Imagine that it is NOT the word of God, but the story of the resurrection is true. Is that not possible? Or let me put it this way - imagine that the stories are true in their most basic forms - all the actual sentences ('and then he said...') are either slightly wrong, or completely wrong.

I have much more to say after being away for so long, but I shall let you ponder what I have written for a little bit. A quick word to Jim Jordan - thank you very much for all your responses (I think you have left the most comments). I owe you a personal reply, and it will come.

Remember people, be good, but doubt your goodness.

7 Comments:

  • Hello George,

    You said:

    "What interests me is not so much religion and Christianity, but where they come from, their reasons for existing, and how they impact on individual human lives and humanity."

    I glad you're not interested in religion for there is no Salvation in religion. All religion is man made and is just vanity or meaningless nonsense even the 'Christian' religion.

    True Believers come from God for they are called by God to His Son Jesus Christ. They don't have a say in it, The Father calls and we answer "Here am I" My reason for living, not existing, is to do The Father's will voluntarily, not because I have to, because I want to. To find out how I impact on others lives you would have to ask my neighbours.

    "So this is my first question for today. Why do you believe in God? And following that, why do you follow religion doctrines? Let me analyse these for a second."

    I believe in God because He spoke to me in my mind, and made me aware that He is real and not a figment of people's imaginations. Once you know someone is real and alive then you must believe, how can you not believe? It's impossible.

    Jesus Christ is not a doctrine, He is a person, a person made of Spirit. He lives in another dimension (Heaven) outside of time.
    Following Jesus Christ is not religion, only men have made Jesus Christ a religion.

    The word 'religion' never passed His lips, He never uttered the word - not once.

    I think that's enough to be going on with as it will be a view you have never heard before, i.e. The Truth.

    y2t

    By Blogger yes2truth aka Charles Crosby, at 4:11 PM  

  • What if the Bible is all right and human beings are all wrong because of the serious fundamental flaw of selfishness at the thought level ?

    Since the Bible speaks of a heaven where all is love because all are loving, it would seem that there is a certain character excellence required for entrance.

    Jesus is correct. Human beings need a new nature. God is too wise to err. No one will be allowed in heaven who has not a character like that of Jesus Christ.

    There is a bigger picture, a third factor that atheists may be dangerously overlooking.

    If the Bible is correct, and our understanding of God and His word are limited by the sinfulness of our human minds we are dependent upon Him for salvation. This may be too much for the proud heart to bear.

    If the Bible is correct and there is a devil with whom the sin problem began and he has been expelled from heaven this adds another dimension to the big picture.

    If the Bible is correct and the devil used his power of choice to rebel against God in heaven and to deceive one third of all the angels who also had the power of choice this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and God did not destroy the devil because all created beings did not yet understand the true character of Lucifer and if God destroyed him then all created beings would then serve God from fear instead of love this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and God has allowed Lucifer/the devil to live so that he would have time to reveal his character to all created beings and then be destroyed after the judgment, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and the life we are now living is the only opportunity to cooperate with God and develop a Christ like character in preparation for heaven, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and immortality is a gift that God will bestow on everyone who during their lifetime cooperated with and depended upon Him for help to develop a Christ like character, and those who are finally saved will have the privilege of traveling throughout the universe, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is wrong and the Christian is wrong he has nothing to look forward to as the atheist has said.

    However, if the atheist is wrong....


    Christian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 PM  

  • What if the Bible is all right and human beings are all wrong because of the serious fundamental flaw of selfishness at the thought level ?

    Since the Bible speaks of a heaven where all is love because all are loving, it would seem that there is a certain character excellence required for entrance.

    Jesus is correct. Human beings need a new nature. God is too wise to err. No one will be allowed in heaven who has not a character like that of Jesus Christ.

    There is a bigger picture, a third factor that atheists may be dangerously overlooking.

    If the Bible is correct, and our understanding of God and His word are limited by the sinfulness of our human minds we are dependent upon Him for salvation. This may be too much for the proud heart to bear.

    If the Bible is correct and there is a devil with whom the sin problem began and he has been expelled from heaven this adds another dimension to the big picture.

    If the Bible is correct and the devil used his power of choice to rebel against God in heaven and to deceive one third of all the angels who also had the power of choice this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and God did not destroy the devil because all created beings did not yet understand the true character of Lucifer and if God destroyed him then all created beings would then serve God from fear instead of love this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and God has allowed Lucifer/the devil to live so that he would have time to reveal his character to all created beings and then be destroyed after the judgment, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and the life we are now living is the only opportunity to cooperate with God and develop a Christ like character in preparation for heaven, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is correct and immortality is a gift that God will bestow on everyone who during their lifetime cooperated with and depended upon Him for help to develop a Christ like character, and those who are finally saved will have the privilege of traveling throughout the universe, this adds another dimension to the problem.

    If the Bible is wrong and the Christian is wrong he has nothing to look forward to as the atheist has said.

    However, if the atheist is wrong....


    Christian

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 PM  

  • Very well put, Christian!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 PM  

  • this is where religion get caught.A perfect being can't create imperfect entities.I maintain that god was created in the image of man not the other way round

    By Blogger bangambiki, at 3:08 AM  

  • First don't worry too much about your Blog have a life away from the rectangle, You already know that religion is nonsense and by extension so to the idea of Gods. The difficult part is breaking away from what you are taught from childhood, If you are a good person you will know it without all the BS surrounding religions. If you decide to follow a religion don't forget it is someone else's ideas that you are following and you will not be allowed to question them. the vast majority of people don't care what you think only how they control what you think.

    By Anonymous jim666, at 7:10 AM  

  • Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

    By Anonymous writemy-essay.net/term-paper, at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home